Funeral Card Friday - Joshua L. Hardy 1892



Joshua L. Hardy funeral card, Christian Co, KY

Pictured is a funeral card for Joshua L. Hardy. The original is approximately 4 x 6 inches in size, printed in gold lettering (though much faded) on a thick gray cardstock similar to what was used for photographs in that time period. This was one of the items given to me by my father’s cousin Norman Vaughan in 1995. I have mentioned my Hardy family in several posts.
This card states that Joshua died on June 1, 1892 but other information indicates the date was actually May 26, 1892. Notably his tombstone pictured below gives the May date as well as two family records. The one family record has been posted here. The other is a family bible record that I have yet to post. I am not so concerned about the discrepancy and feel the May date is probably the correct one. Perhaps his burial date was June 1 or it could just be a printer’s error when the card was made. Although there were earlier attempts at collecting vital records, they were not consistently recorded at a state-wide level in Kentucky until about 1911. There may be other local records but I have not pursued that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COG: The Love of Reading

Bannerman Family Mystery

Friday Faces from the Past: Moorefield