It Only Took Ten Years

Photo by Crispin Semmens
After my cousin contacted me about Samuel Watts, Sr. and his possible English connections, I did a Google search to find out more about the reference to the 1738 christening in Frome, Somerset, England. (See the previous post about that here.)

I got a hit on the Watts Genforum (hint: you can search the forum using keywords such as Halifax) and was able to pinpoint the IGI source entry from a helpful researcher who had listed it for my benefit after I had advertised my Watts book on the site back in 2001. While there, I caught up on some other postings in reference to this family.

I was excited to see a more recent posting that said:

"Dear Dawn,
A book entitled 'Sands through our Fingers' by Eunice M. White 1980, has just come into my possession. She refers to Samuel of England/Halifax Co. Va. then son William who married Martha Lee 1795, then went to Kentucky. I am descended from his son James who married Sarah Hulett and went to Howard County Missouri..."


I wrote my book in 2001 and at that time, had little else on this William Watts besides his marriage date. I was only able to note that he disappeared from Halifax Co, VA records around 1807. I figured he probably migrated elsewhere, but the name is way too common for me to attempt to match him up somewhere.

But finally after ten years, I have discovered where he ended up and contacted that descendant. She graciously provided me with scanned copies of the relevant pages from Eunice White's book.

Another cousin connection, what fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COG: The Love of Reading

Bannerman Family Mystery

Friday Faces from the Past: Moorefield